willemite

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
Erik Larson
The Gods of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Devil We Know: Dealing with the New Iranian Superpower - Robert Baer Nearly everything the average American has been told about Iran is wrong.

This is a compelling analysis of one of the major players on the world stage. For those who have read much about the Middle East there is not a whole lot of new information here, but Baer has the ability to gather the strings of information and weave them together into a coherent tapestry. Iran has been growing as a regional power. This will continue and there is pretty much nothing we can do about it. This raises serious questions about how the USA should proceed. Baer is insightful and fact-based. There is no screaming here about islamo-fascists, but a reasoned view of an extant reality. He offers interesting suggestions on how we can best cope with the inevitable change. As a former (can one really ever be a completely former?) spook, with deep experience in these parts of the world, (Middle East and South Asia) his analysis carries additional weight. One may agree or disagree with his take, but it is an informed and compelling one. This is a must-read for anyone not living in a cave.