willemite

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
Erik Larson
The Gods of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs
On Seeing: Things Seen, Unseen and Obscene - F. González-Crussí I had thought this would be a book on how the eye works, but it turned out be much more about what it is the eye is drawn to. This included an array of the usual subjects, like sexual imagery, death and physical mayhem. This was interesting enough, but I felt at times that the author was rather reveling in the depiction of things erotic and horrific.

The most interesting section here has to do with a compelling image that resulted from a woman whose fetus needed surgery. While the procedure was underway, a tiny arm flopped out and a normal grasping response resulted in the tiny hand grabbing hold of the surgeon’s finger. This image, of course, was used by anti-abortionists as evidence of a child thanking the doctor for saving it’s life. This is a classic case of seeing what you want to see, as both the mother and fetus were unconscious at the time of the procedure. To anyone with two working gray cells and access to a newspaper or a television, the proper response here is duh-uh.

He delves also into items of historical interest. This included the associations people have had with mirrors over time. I thought this was a stretch and found myself beginning to skim.

Overall, I was disappointed in this book. It is not a bad book, but seems to wander a bit too much. There are bits of intriguing information in these pages, but not enough to warrant much time. It was a bit of fluff with a somewhat amusing collection of anecdotes and summarized stories but generally seemed lacking in seriousness and depth. I would see what else is around.