willemite

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
Erik Larson
The Gods of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq - Thomas E. Ricks Fiasco offers a very detailed look into the disaster that has been the US invasion of Iraq. For those of us who have read more than a few books on the subject there is an unavoidable repetition of information seen elsewhere, but there is sufficient new material to justify one’s time. Ricks covers the range of errors from the political to the strategic to the tactical to the diplomatic and offered analysis as to what went wrong and why. But he also shows where lessons were learned from recent experience (although one of the major failures of the war was an unwillingness to learn from prior conflicts), and tells of success stories where they occurred. I learned more about some of the military people involved in the war (Generals Franks, Petraeus, Odierno, Sanchez, McMaster) than I knew before and that alone was worth the price. The book offers an excellent range of subject matter and is written in a very accessible manner.