willemite

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
Erik Larson
The Gods of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Just After Sunset: Stories - Stephen King This is an interesting mix. I found that for some of the stories there was a been-there-done-that feel. In another, my favorite in the collection, a nuclear bomb in NYC tale, I felt as if King had been peeking in at dreams I have had myself. His 9/11 story had a very welcome gentle touch. In another a dark reality strives to pop through into our real world, being held back only by the OCD activities of a series of unfortunates. I thought it was a tribute to H. P. Lovecraft, particularly given the name King assigns to his demon, Cthun, calling to mind Lovecraft’s “The Call of Cthulu,” but in the afterward, where he tells of his inspirations for each story, Lovecraft is not mentioned. I enjoyed that several tales were set in NYC. There is always some joy to be had in recognizing street locations, local TV personalities when they appear in fiction.

This is by no means a must read. King has reached a sort of steady state. His writing is engaging, sometimes satisfying, but rarely does it seem to rise above.