willemite

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
Erik Larson
The Gods of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Every Which Way But Dead - Kim Harrison Rachel Morgan is back in action in the Hollows. There is a war afoot in Cincinnatti’s underworld. Trent is concerned that another dealer is selling. The vampire Kisten becomes a love interest for Rachel when Nick, her human boyfriend, takes a poorly explained powder for an extended period. It is hinted that he needs distance to survive being her familiar, but there are probably deeper reasons. There is a rush of new characters in this one. A rock star, Takata, wants Rachel to provide security at his concert. On his tracks, there is music that can only be heard by vampires. We learn more about the childhood connection between Trent and Rachel. Rachel becomes Algaliarept’s familiar, but pleads for the life of the ancient, worn out elf, Queen Ceri, who had been his familiar for a thousand years. Ivy is the scion of the top vamp in town, now in jail, and has fallen off the bloodless wagon. David is a were insurance adjuster who teams up with Rachel to take down a cruel Lee Saladan, the purveyor of tainted drugs. We learn what motivates Trent, and that softens his character. We learn more about Rachel’s father and Trent’s father. Rachel grows as a ley line witch and the power comes in handy. This is a fun read, and although I felt that the external story was a bit thin, it is rich in its population of characters and density of this created world. I am looking forward to the next one, which will not be available until spring 2006.