willemite

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
Erik Larson
The Gods of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Bird Girl & the Man Who Followed the Sun: An Athabaskan Indian Legend from Alaska - Velma Wallis Wallis grew up in a traditional Athabaskan family in Interior Alaska. This is her telling of two native legends, one of Bird girl, a strong, independent female, who endures massive hardship at the hands of a rival tribe, gets her revenge in the end, but suffers greatly, and Daggoo, a male counterpart. Daggoo does not want to hunt like the other boys in his tribe. He loves to be outdoors, loves to explore and possesses a profound curiosity about the world, always wondering what lies beyond the next hill. He survives an attack that wipes out the men of his tribe and must take on a new role. Eventually, he is able to heed his wanderlust, and he finds both joy and horror in his life in the land of the sun. The two, of course, cross paths by the end of the tale, but their connecting seemed somewhat minimal. I was hoping for more from their pairing. Nevertheless, Wallis has written a very engaging story, eminently readable tale. This paperback is illustrated, but I did not find that the illustrations added any great value. The story was quite sufficient without them. I expect this work is intended for younger readers. I found it quite worthwhile despite my gray hairs.