willemite

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
Erik Larson
The Gods of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Life Class - PAT BARKER Life Class counterpoints the life lessons learned by a set of young English men and women first in an art school, the Slade, with bits of externality coming into the picture as the protagonist, Paul, becomes involved with a woman whose abusive ex succeeds in stalking and then attacking him. Later the war gathers up these lives and shuffles them about. Paul gets to see not only the horrors of life in a continent on fire, but is confronted with the unwillingness of the object of his affections, Elinor, to allow any aspect of that conflict to spoil her avidly pursued ignorance. There is much here about honesty, who is worth trusting, what makes good people, the role of art. Although one can recognize merit in the book, I did not care for it all that much. I found that in tone at least, it reminded me of many other English novels I have read in the last few years, without adding enough of its own self to distinguish it. It was an interesting read, with some payload about the WW I period in Britain among a certain class of people. But it was not compelling.