willemite

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
Erik Larson
The Gods of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Greatest Story Ever Sold: The Decline and Fall of Truth from 9/11 to Katrina - Frank Rich The subtitle tells it all, “the decline and fall of truth from 9/11 to Katrina.” This book is about how the Bush administration, with their willing accomplices in the media have made a casualty of truth. It is not, as one might expect it to be, a compilation of his NY Times op ed pieces, but a well ordered, easy to read overview of what lies were told, when, by whom and to whom. Good stuff. I doubt that any Republican would get past ten pages though. Although Rich offers plenty of concrete examples and reasons for his views, he allows his scorn of these evil gnomes to shine through a bit too obviously. There is a lengthy, 70 pages or so, section at the back end with two columns. On the left, are the actual events in a timeline. On the right are the statements (lies) that were told and when. A nifty piece. Although I enjoyed the book and it never hurts to get information reinforcement for my challenged memory, it did strike me that Rich was preaching to the choir, as I doubt many who are not already clued in to the current white house crowd would plunk down their cash for the book.